This beginner’s course gives bright young minds a head-start on one of the world’s most in-demand programming languages.
On this course – brand new for summer 2020 – kids aged 9 to 12 will be introduced to Python, the programming language that tech behemoths like Instagram, Pinterest and Spotify are all built on.
Led by our code-loving instructors, kids and teens will be taught key programming concepts and how to apply them in exciting ways, from using Python to create video games to learning the relationship between software and hardware, discovering the role of Python in the multi-billion-dollar tech industry to learning the skills they need to build their own projects at home.
Challenging, interactive and lots of fun, this course does more than just teach the fundamentals. It unlocks the world of programming for young people – and sparks the interest that makes them want to keep on exploring it.
What students will learn
- Key programming concepts that can be applied to most coding languages
- How to use Python, an in-demand, syntax-based programming language, to create their own projects
- The relationship between software and hardware, using the micro:bit
- How sensors and outputs work – and how to use them and Python to make their computer speak to the outside world
- How to use Python to manipulate images and create 2D video games
- The soft skills and confidence they need to create, reiterate and problem solve with their new friends
- How to continue working on their Python project from home
What will students take home
- A Fire Tech Certificate
- Any handouts or cheatsheets
Who is this course suitable for?
No prior experience is required but there are some prerequisites for attending this course:
- Must be between age 9 and 12 at start of course
* Outdoor activities dependent on location and weather. ** some software only available as trial. We arrange a discounted rate with the publishers for our campers when possible.